Mr. Tanveer Arif is serving as chief executive officer (CEO) of Society for Conservation and Protection of Environment (SCOPE), which is registered with Societies Act and accredited with several United Nations (UN) bodies and conventions such as ECOSOC, UNCCD, GEF, UNEP, HABITAT, UNCBD etc.
He is also serving as Individual consultant (IC) with UNDP-GEF supported Sustainable Land Management Program (SLMP), Pakistan for developing Land Use Policy Framework (LUPF) for federal and provincial governments.
Important positions held
- Former elected member of UNCCD civil society organizations (CSO) Panel from Asia and Pacific (2013-2016)
- Former regional focal Point of Global Environment Facility (GEF) CSOs Network, representing South Asia (2011-2015)
- Former member of Adhoc working group (AWG) on review of 10 years strategy of UNCCD
- Former member of Pakistan National Committee on Desertification
- Interim Executive Director of Environment Liaison Center International (ELCI), Nairobi, Kenya in 2007 for a year
- Regional focal point of DRYNET and RIOD (international networks about desertification)
- Former member of Sindh Wildlife Board (SWLB) in 1995-1997
Most of his professional life Mr. Tanveer Arif has been working as an environmentalist, land and land rights, biodiversity and climate activist with a diversified background.Land has been a central focus of mr. Tanveer Arif work. He has been working on land degradation/ desertification related issues. he has been representing my organization at UN Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) since its inception in 1993 and have attended most of its meeting including preparatory meetings, conference of parties, review committee meetings including regional and sub-regional workshops. He played due role in engaging civil society organizations in the UNCCD process at national and international level. He has been on key positions on the steering committees of UNCCD related networks, committees, such as RIOD NGO network, Drynet and National Coordination Committee on UNCCD in Pakistan.
On behalf of SCOPE, he contributed in the preparation of National Action Programme (NAP) of UNCCD, for the then Ministry of Environment, Government of Pakistan, who requested SCOPE, in 1997 to consult with the civil society organizations and communities and bring in their concerns in the NAP.
He has vast experience of implementation of programmes and projects in the dry lands of Pakistan, such as drought mitigation and adaptation and rangeland management.
Mr. Tanveer Arif earned a Master of Science (M.Sc) in Geography, University of Karachi and Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Zoology, Botany and Chemistry, from University of Karachi